Friday, July 02, 2010

Russian Spy Was (is?) A Certified Financial Planner!!



You can't make this stuff up...or can you? 35 year old accused Russian spy Cynthia Murphy was a financial advisor. Not only that, she was a Certified Financial Planner to boot. Now, in addition to being worried about whether your advisor is running a Ponzi scheme you have to be worried they might be a spy!!

What is funny is that a few years ago I was talking to a television producer (okay, wannabe television producer) and I was explaining my idea for a show centered around a financial planner (I figured I could play the part) who also doubled as a CIA agent. Not exactly the same thing, but close. For the record, I am not a CIA agent...of course if I was I wouldn't tell you and I'd probably write a blog saying something like "For the record, I am not a CIA agent."!

I just couldn't resist posting this story.

Scott Dauenhauer CFP, MSFP, AIF