Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I'm Healing Fine - What about You?

Tonsils & Collar Bone are both Healing Fine – What about You?

It’s been awhile since the Meridian Monthly has been published (early March) and that is because I’ve been busy with work…..and surgeries.

I had my tonsils out at the end of March, this went well but it was very painful and I didn’t eat for eight days.  As I got better from the tonsil surgery I felt well enough to rejoin my soccer team and promptly broke my collar bone.  I won’t bore you with the details, but I was sidelined for another week.  Just when I thought my collar bone was feeling better I found out I had to have surgery on it.  I was shocked because 97% of collar bone breaks don’t result in a surgery……I always did strive to be in the top percentile!!!

Anyway, my surgery was last Friday (May 5th, yes Cince De Mayo) and I am starting to feel much better.  It will take some physical therapy and about 6 – 8 weeks to fully heal, but I am pretty much back at my desk working and being productive.  

All in all it’s been a tough few months, but in the scheme of things it hasn’t been that bad.  After all, I still have my health, my family, and wonderful clients.  I’m upbeat and optimistic about the future and aching to get back to working out and playing soccer and softball (though my wife is rather apprehensive!).

I do want to share a few things that have come to mind over the past few months that I believe will benefit you.

With both surgeries my doctors asked is I had a living will, power of attorney for health care, or an Advanced Medical Directive – I did and I provided them (though after re-reading them I think I may make a few changes).  The reason I bring this up is that I am willing to bet that with all the planning we’ve done – most of you still don’t have these essential documents.  I also have a living trust and a will and life insurance. In addition, I have left instructions for my wife on who to call to help notify and work with my clients should anything happen to me.  My question to you is……what have you done to prepare your family for the unexpected?

While death was a possibility it was pretty small, the real danger was disability and luckily I have a disability policy on me and my wife – do you?  You have a greater chance of becoming disabled than you do of dying.  Have you insured this risk?

Think about these things – are you really prepared if something bad where to happen to you or your spouse?  Perhaps we should sit down and talk more in depth.

The year is still young and I have big plans for it, I’m not one to let a couple surgeries get in my way.  When you are ready let’s make sure we really have all you’re planning needs taken care of.

Scott Dauenhauer, CFP, MSFP